Subject :Library Internship Position, Rhinelander District Library, Rhinelander, WI
Library Internship Position—Rhinelander District Library—Rhinelander, Wisconsin
15 hrs/wk. $10/hour—up to 12 weeks, May 27-August 18
Do you enjoy working with people and computers? Meet and greet neighbors—see the world through library materials—and help people find what they are looking for, answer questions, assist patrons with technology, input data, make sure items return in good condition, shelve, experience troubleshooting computer hardware, software and system interfaces, be creative, potential to work as conference assistant, and possibly more—right here at the library circulation desk in the beautiful Northwoods! And get paid for it.
Other duties as assigned. Position description below:
• Greet library patrons in welcoming manner.
• Answer patrons immediate reference questions if possible. Dispense local map to visitors as needed.
• Assist patrons with their search for library materials.
• Check out materials to patrons using Sierra circulation software operating system, checking each item for content and condition.
• Have experience and familiarity with computer hardware and software, internet, wireless, and library systems and technology.
• Issue library cards to new library patrons, checking photo ID and verifying current address & contact information.
• Update/renew library patron library cards when needed.
• Answer phone and answer callers' questions or, if necessary, forward the calls to pertinent staff who can.
• Conduct reference question searches when necessary as time allows.
• Check in returned library materials, paying close attention to inter-library loan items needing transit handling.
• Scrutinize returned items to verify all pieces are present and in good condition. Report problems needing attention appropriately
• Problem-solve the mismatches & incomplete items returned with necessary phone calls and documenting notes to rectify each situation.
• Handle money payment for lost & damaged materials.
• Utilize the Public Internet Use system to manage the 8 public-use-internet computers.
• Release print jobs from public computers to the printer and collect money for prints from patrons.
• Perform trouble-shooting & problem-solving tasks with public internet computers when necessary.
• Provide occasional 1-on-1 internet computer assistance to patrons as needed, if time & staffing allow.
• Shelve incoming library material "HOLDS" for patrons alphabetically on shelves behind circulation desk each day.
• Correctly move returned-items onto shelving carts in numerical and alphabetical order in proper collection-location on cart.
• Schedule use of the Meeting Room for community meetings on calendar software.
• Assist placing Transit items on proper shelves for courier packing.
• Pack totes and bags for courier pick-up when needed.
• Unpack courier deliveries and check in materials from courier when needed.
• Print and restock forms for front desk operations when needed.
• Perform any other duties upon request.
DISCLAIMER: Must be in Library and/or Information Studies degree program or recent graduate to qualify for this position. Position is partially dependent on grant funding. Further Disclaimer: It could, technically, be longer or less than 12 weeks, depending on applicant and grant funding. Preferably any applicant could start sooner, but the end date cannot be sooner than mid-August, because of programming factors.
Interested? Please send your information and resume to Virginia Roberts, Director, Rhinelander District Library, email@example.com, by May 5, 2017.